Culture and nature
Turning to the renovated Bevkov trg (square), we notice a mock-up cast in bronze of the layout plan for Nova Gorica as proposed by the architect Ravnikar. Further along, one can enjoy the delightful spectacle of the water jets of the town fountain.
In May 2004, in the former garden of the monastery, at the southern fasade of the Kostanjevica monastery near Nova Gorica, there was opened for the public a collection of Bourbon roses. It is one of the biggest and most complete collections of Bourbon roses in the world. In May and June there are thousands of them in bloom.
Mestni park Borov gozdiček - Pine Grove, a unique biotope in the middle of the city Nova Gorica, is planted in the area of the last remains of the former clay pits.
Edvard Kardelj Square (Trg Edvarda Kardelja) is actually a piece of grassland at the junction of Kidričeva Street and Tolminskih puntarjev Street which is enclosed by the Municipal palace to the north and the Theatre and Library to the east. It is an ideal space for larger events, both assemblies and concerts.
Nova Gorica is one of the rare cities in Slovenia which can boast of having such a large, preserved and interesting forest with numerous domestic and foreign tree species in the direct vicinity of the town.
The municipal palace was built in 1950 according to the preliminary drawings by the architect Vinko Glanz.
Park Rafut was planted in the second half of the 19th century over an area of 3 hectares. Within the park, there are a number of rare trees and shrubs. Due to the favourable soil and climatic conditions, many exceptionally beautiful exotic plants have been able to grow in this park. Many of these plants cannot be found elsewhere in Slovenia.
By this monument the city has paid its tribute to all of the volunteers who helped to build Nova Gorica.
The main road (Kidričeva ulica) in Nova Gorica was built by the town’s builders as the city’s principal street around which the city centre would develop. This is where the municipal palace and other important buildings of urban significance were built: the bank, the post office, the insurance company, the bus station, shops, a hotel, the court house and the residential buildings on the southern side of the street.
The Soča River rises in the heart of the Julian Alps. Its 138 km long route to the sea runs for the most part along the northwest edge of Slovenia.
Rusjan square (Rusjanov trg) is the newest square in Nova Gorica.
The Sabotin Hill (608m) lies at the junction of Pre-Alpine, Sub-Mediterranean areas and the Dinaric Alps.
Be this your first or your hundredth visit to the Banjšice plateau, you have certainly realized that the world up there is different. You have reached a high karst plateau limited to the north by the river Idrijca, to the west by the emerald river Soča, and to the east by the valley of a river that no longer exists.
On September 11th 1960 in Nova Gorica the Monument to Edvard Rusjan, pioneer aviator and the first pilot of Slovene origin was erected.
The Trnovo Forest and the neighbouring Banjščice plateau are the most north-western spur of the grand Dinar mountains. The mountainous area of the Trnovo Forest is karst-like, with no running superficial water, full of closed hollows, hills of different height and mountains, caves, abysses, shafts and minute karstic forms: scallops, grooves, rockholes, etc.
The Alley of the famous men or Erjavec’s Street (Erjavčeva ulica) is one of the oldest city streets in Nova Gorica. At the time of construction it linked the emerging town with the railway station.
The Big Ice Cave at Paradana is known worldwide due to the classical description (locus classicus) of the inversion of the vegetation belts in its western part. The cave is 385 m deep and 1550 m long.
The municipal administrations of the towns of Gorizia (Italia) and Nova Gorica (Slovenia) decided to honour the entry of Slovenia into the European Union in a very special way, not with a common plaque or monument, but with a new joint square (Trg Evrope) in front of the Nova Gorica Railway station.
The railway station (železniška postaja) is one of the rare older buildings of Nova Gorica, which was built after World War II as a new town.
At the steep edge of the Trnovo Forest overlooking the Lijak stream a penetrated cliff has given shape to the Natural Bridge Skozno. The same name was given also to the underneath short grotto “spodmol”.
Lijak is a strong but irregular karstic spring of the stream of the same name flowing from below the precipitous edge of the Trnovo Forest.
In the twentieth century the inhabitants of Goriška changed their state more often than they bought a new dress, but above all, the border cut through the space which they had always before felt as theirs. In addition, this was not an ordinary border, but a line of separation between the East and the West, protected with barbed wire.
Between Nova Gorica (Slovenia) and Gorica (Italy) there is a 143 m hill on which stands the Church of the Annunciation Mary and Franciscan Monastery (Samostan Kostanjevica). The pilgrimage place is rich in history and treasures of the past. In the famous library of the Franciscan monastery - Škrabčeva knjižnica - several incunabula and one piece of the Bohorič Grammar Book can be seen. In the church crypt lie the mortal remains of some of the members of the royal French House of Bourbon, among them the last king of France and his son, the Duke of Angulem. In the former garden of the monastery, at the southern fasade of the Kostanjevica monastery, there is a collection of Bourbon roses. It is one of the biggest and most complete collections of Bourbon roses in the world.
The Zaloški bajer Pond was once an old riverbed of the Vipava River at Zalošče in the Vipava Valley. Because people made changes to the Vipava River and the Vipava Valley, such ponds are the only remaining sanctuaries for many types of plants and animals that were once found in the valley.
In Slovenia, one can find some traces of Jewish cultural heritage of which most are cemeteries that have tombstones incribed in Hebrew. Jewish cemeteries can be found in Ljubljana, Maribor, Ptuj and also a well preserved one in Rožna Dolina near Nova Gorica. It is not only the layout that makes this cemetery culturally rich but also the details; besides this cemetary is characterized by its visibility and completeness within the landscape.
The church was built in 1982, according to architect Franc Kvaternik's plans. It is located by the main road as you enter the town, leading to Solkan. The beauty and grandness of the church is hidden inside - this can be seen in the wooden statue of Jesus Christ and the Stations of the Cross, works of art done by the artist Stane Jarem.
The Regional museum Goriški muzej (Goriški muzej) is according to its orientation a provincial museum with a general character. It operates in the area of fifteen communities in Primorska – the Slovene Litoral. The main collections of the Goriška Museum are found a few kilometres away at Kromberk Castle, once the home of the counts Coronini-Cronberg, a manor house with typical construction elements of the 18th century and a park in the baroque style.
On a hill with a view on the edge of Nova Gorica stands a renovated Renaissance fortress (Grad Kromberk). The small, two-storey Renaissance castle was built before the end of the 16th century on the site of the older castle of Henrick Dornberg from the 13th century.
The museum collection is housed in Villa Bartolomei in the middle of an architectural complex and park of Žabji kraj in Solkan. Here are located the History Department and Conservation and Restoration Workshop. Villa Bartolomei is a two-storey building with preserved late Baroque elements visible particularly in the northern facade with a central axis and a massive stone portal on the ground-floor.
Solkan bridge is the most prominent bridge on the Bohinj Railway route between Jesenice and Gorica, and one of the most famous bridges in Slovenia. According to the known data, the bridge has the longest stone arch spanning over a river in the world and the longest stone arch among all railway bridges.
Sveta Gora (Holy Moutain, Monte Santo) is an important sacred place with a rich pilgrimage tradition. It is situated at the junction of the Vipava and Soča Valley at the transition of the Gorica Plain into the Friuli Plain. With its height of 682m above the sea level it offers a magnificent view of the Julian Alps, the Trnovo Forest, the Karst up to the sea, and to Brda and the Friuli Plain, the Carnic Alps and the Dolomites to the west.
Sabotin Peace Park (Sabotin Park miru) is a cross-border project with an overall objective to diversify tourist offer in the area of the Goriška (Gorizia region) through the promotion of peace.
Škarbijel (646m), Skalnica – Sveta Gora (681m) and Sabotin (609m) are a trio of hills above Nova Gorica which do not belong in the history of climbing but thousands have died to conquer these peaks.
On the ground floor of the building in Soška cesta (road) one finds the Carpentry Museum with a display of the typical tools and other aids used by the master woodworkers from the area in and around Solkan.
An interest in the remains of the Soča/Isonzo Front which were concentrated on the territory along the Soča river during the war years of 1915 – 1917 was born in the household of the Boltar family approximately three decades ago when on one of his off-the track skiing trips in the Krn mountains, Jordan Boltar accidentally came across the remains of some guns, pistols and a bayonet of the Austro-Hungarian Army.
The memorial with sepulchre dedicated to 256 fallen partisans of the IX. Korpus in WWII is located on Mt. Kobilnik.
The mansion leans with its north-western part against the church, and in the eastern part it has a chimney added. Constituent part of the mansion is a plateau and a garden.
Church of the Assumption above Vitovlje - sub sancta Maria de Golecz in Vitugliach - was mentioned for the first time in 1361.
The massive female emigration from the Goriška region to Egypt in the second half of the 19th century started due to the fact that during the construction of the Suez Canal, and still more so after its opening in the year 1869, the number of European entrepreneurs in Egypt, who settled above all in the cities of Alexandria and Cairo, increased.
The castle is located in Branik. Rare are the castles in the Primorska region that have their origin in the Middle Ages.
The "Living Fountains" Project Reviving Water Wells and Ponds in Cross-Border Area, being implemented within the 2007-2013 Slovenia-Italy Cross-Border Cooperation Programme, envisages the restoration and arrangement of 34 water wells and ponds as monuments of cultural heritage.
The Art gallery 'Mestna galerija Nova Gorica' represents the central venue of fine arts in the Goriška area. It is oriented above all towards the survey of the actual development in the area of modern fine arts.
Sale of works of art and framing of paintings. The programme of the Gallery follows the personal & team, national and foreign artistic inspirations in order to connect the present needs in the sphere of Slovene galleries and is open to new style and expressive possibilities in art.
The Tir Gallery – the Mostovna Cultural Centre is dedicated primarily to the younger generation of non-established artists from the local and wider area.
In the e-House (e-Hiša) on Bevkov square various experiments are presented to the public.
The public institution Nova Gorica Cultural Centre (Kulturni dom Nova Gorica) has in more than thirty years of its existance, with its top-level programmes in the field of music, film and visual art, completely cosolidated its distinctiveness not only in the Goriška area, but also in the whole Slovene as well as international one.
The Slovene National Theatre Nova Gorica - Slovensko narodno gledališče Nova Gorica belongs to the youngest Slovene professional theatres.
The library was founded on 18th of January, 1949 in Šempeter and was first named Okrajna študijska knjižnica Gorica (District study library of Gorica). The name of the library changed in 1970 when France Bevk, a well known Slovenian author, died. Its activity covers an area of 60.000 residents and offers more than 480.000 units of material.