Nova Gorica, the town on the border to Italy, was founded only after the end of World War II.
According to the 6th Paris Peace Conference the town of Gorica/Gorizia belonged to Italy, and thus a substantial part of the Goriška area, the Soča Valley and the Lower Vipava Valley lost its centre. The population in the extensive surroundings of the present-day town started many thousands of years ago, proof of which are some significant archeological sites.
The idea of a new centre of the Goriška area started to turn into reality in autumn of the year 1947 by the agency of a special committee led by Minister Ivan Maček. The urban plan for the new town was elaborated by the architect and town planner Edo Ravnikar. The foundation stone for the construction was laid on 13th June 1948. Youth work brigades from all over Yugoslavia started to build the new town. Six blocks of flats, the so called »Russian blocks«, the Town hall and the multistorey building known as »Nebotičnik - Sky-scraper« were the first buildings of the town. Gradually bigger housing areas, other new buildings, the Nova Gorica Cultural Centre and the department store »Trgovska hiša«, as well as the social centre of the town of Nova Gorica developed.
The architect Ravnikar's idea and design of the town has been frequently changed during the fast expansion of the town. Of the initial plan of a »City in a park« only about two hundred species of local and exotic trees and shrubs are preserved, which is without any doubt a noteworhty peculiarity.
At the end of the 19th century and in the first half of the 20th century the Goriška area became known also for some places where certain crafts developed. The trade started to bloom due to the favourable conditions of extraction and abundance of raw materials necessary for the production. The traditional crafts of the countryside of the Goriška area that constributed to the development of the industry of Nova Gorica after World War II, include the joiner's trade in Solkan, the blacksmith's workshops in the Čepovan area and Lokovec, the brick production in Bilje and the masonry in Renče.